Thursday, April 17, 2014

Pesto, Chicken, and Mozzarella Panini, or My First Ever Recipe Post

Y'all. I think I may just be a genius. Ever since moving to Montgomery and having a great kitchen I have been experimenting with new recipes. However, I have been eating a lot of sandwiches for lunch because they are quick and easy. I have been trying to spice things up in the lunch department, and I broke out the panini press the other day to try to make a grilled cheese sandwich. Then I started thinking about my time at Auburn and this great place called Bizilia's on College Street where I'm pretty sure I had my first panini ever. They had a ton of different types of paninis, but I ALWAYS got the chicken panini. It was creamy and flavorful and delicious and I knew I had to try to recreate it. I didnt have all the ingredients that they use, but I made my version of a chicken panini. If you want to try out this absolutely fool-proof recipe, check it out below!

Pesto, Chicken, and Mozzarella Panini
Makes 1 Sandwich

Ingredients
*2 slices of sourdough bread (I used sourdough because it's what I had. You can use rye or even fancy ciabatta. That would be super good).
*2 or so tsp store-bought Pesto (You could make your own. It would probably be better. But store-bought was easy).
This is the type of Pesto that I used. They sell it at Publix.
*Mayonnaise
*Half a chicken breast, sliced (you could use more or less, or omit it all together. Making 2 sandwiches would obviously use a whole chicken breast. I just prepared mine in the oven with salt and pepper).
*4 half inch slices of fresh mozzarella (you could use shredded, but the fresh stuff is just so much better and SO gooey!!)
*2 Campari tomatoes, sliced thinly (I used Campari because I bought them for other things. You could use regular tomatoes if you want, but I think the small size worked well for this sandwich.)

Directions
1. Preheat your panini press or griddle.
2.. Spread your bread of choice with mayonnaise.
3. Add half the pesto to one piece of bread and the other half to the other piece of bread. I used a heaping tsp and drained some of the oil off on the side of the jar.

4. Place 2 slices of the mozzarella on your bread.

5. Slice your chicken and place on the bread.
6. Add the tomatoes.

7. Add the other 2 slices of mozzarella. 
8. Place the other piece of bread on the sandwich and put it on your sandwich maker or panini press.

9. Close the lid to your press and cook for roughly 3-5 minutes.
10. Eat and enjoy the melty goodness.
11. Write me a thank you note because this is the best and easiest sandwich ever.
Y'all. So good. And gooey. And yummy. And flavorful. *Please excuse the mess on the table. I'm still learning about this whole food thing!*

Let me know if you try this-it is my new favorite sandwich and you should totally try it!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness I LOVE Bizilia's. It ties with Niffer's for my favorite eatery in Auburn. I make sure to eat there every single time I'm in town.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...